Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hydro Project Begun, My Part is Done!

Last week was my last week of official work with the hydro project. I spent 5 weeks supervising, instructing, and working along side my group of 42 guys. It was an enjoyable experience and I am glad that I got to participate in getting this project started but I am also glad I have free time again to spend more time getting ready for school to start.

It took me 3 weeks but eventually I was able to match every name with every face. Hopefully I can remember them all so that when I see them around later I can call them by name!

This project is about more than just building a hydro-electric plant (although that is the primary focus). It is also about building community relationships. We want the people that live around our station to be on board with the ministry of the hospital and to be supporters of the work we do here. That doesn't always happen so we are using this project as an opportunity to reach the community.

In order to help everyone in the community in a country that has 85% unemployment rate, we are hiring a new group of workers every month so every gets 2 pay checks then has to wait until their turn cycles around again over this 2 year project. When this very first group ended, we concluded their month with a meal and a discussion.

Our primary health care staff gave a lession on HIV/AIDS to all of the workers and their families. They concluded the lesson with a salvation message and a meal. I also had the opportunity to share my testimony with my workers. It was a nice time to celebrate the kick-off month of the project and to show the workers that we really do care about the community.

Pray for the community surrounding the hospital and for the many different workers that will help with this project. There is a new group of workers this month (52 this time!) and I don't know any of them. However, I know that from my first group, very few of them are Christians. I assume the same will go for all of the workers. Pray that God will work in the lives of these men and work through Earl Hartwig who is an engineer that will be arriving on August 8 with his family to become the project manager for the next 2 years.

Amy and I are headed into the "bush" for a week with no electricity, cell phones, internet, or any way to contact the outside world besides a radio. The only way to get there is a 4 hour drive followed by a 3 day hike over the mountains or a short plane ride. Needless to say, we will be flying! Our time there will be spent working on a mission house that is used by missionaries for vacation, various ministries, and often language study. We will be sure to tell you all about it and include lots of pictures when we return!

God Bless!

The workers and their families listening to the HIV/AIDS talk.

The workers in line for food.

The workers posing for a final picture before we end work for the first month.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to share this in my presentation at church for the KS District Work & Witness Trip to Papua New Guinea.

    ReplyDelete